Thursday, January 13, 2005

Instantly Changed


And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. Luke 13:13

I am coming back to this verse this morning because as I have reread this passage of Scripture a few words have jumped out at me…..immediately and made straight. While growth in Christ is a gradual thing, there are times when God chooses to produce immediate change in our life. It is instantaneous and noticeable!

I am reminded of a time when I cried out to God in prayer over an issue in my life and He immediately answered in a powerful way. I have shared before that I was not brought up in a Christian home. From a young age I saw and experienced things no child should be subject to. When I received Christ as my Savior at the age of 14, I instantly became a child of God. That decision redirected the path I was on, redefined my life, and completely changed where I would spend eternity. I took on new interests, became a part of a loving church family, and had a desire to read the Bible. I began a relationship with God Whom I never really knew before. Those things were automatic. They were changes God brought about.

But over the years something did not change. Those things I had seen and experienced from early childhood left me with a sense of shame from which I could not seem to escape. Like a nagging toothache it was always there. I told no one. I simply carried the feelings and disgust with me. I did not know my heavenly Father longed to free me from the load. Several years ago, in my early 40’s I read an article by Lisa Bevere that God used to end my torment. It led me to a time of prayer in which I simply asked God to make me feel clean and pure in all the places I harbored shame and disgrace. I was in the shower at the time, and as the water poured over me I sensed an instant cleansing taking place. I sensed a removal of all that had clung to me for so many years. God made straight the tangled mess inside of me. I will tell you this, even though that was a number of years ago the shame has not returned. The freedom was given by God and has never been removed. I, too, glorify God!

Father, some things we will not be relieved of until we stand before you in Heaven. But I thank you that the release of shame is not one of the things that must wait. I revel in the purity with which You clothed me. It was mine for the asking! Amen.