Friday, August 8, 2008

Preserving Life


Except the LORD of hosts had left us a very small remnant. Isaiah 1:9a (King James Version)


Picture a city left in ruins yet a small building remains among the rubble. A few survivors after multitudes are done away with such as in the days of concentration camps. God is still in the business of preserving lives in the midst of devastation. We see the tragedy of hurricanes but rejoice at the countless stories of individuals who miraculously lived. God still rescues and renews lives. Think of a forest fire that has consumed acres of forestry. When the flames have finally been extinguished and the smoke is gone, little sprigs of green reveal the truth that life was preserved.

Some may look at their life as tragedy filled and wasted. But in the midst of it all God has preserved life. He still brings beauty from ashes. That is what I see when I think of people like Corrie Ten Boon and Joni Erickson Tada. It seemed that life’s circumstances assaulted them in horrible ways. But God left them a remnant in their spirit. They brought the broken pieces to Him and He turned their life into a ministry of great proportion.

What is the loss in your life you grieve today? What is the devastation that leaves you drained and bewildered? Know that God has left parts of you intact. There is a small remnant within you that still pulses with life. What you think will do you in will be the very thing that God will use to draw you close to Himself. He has already planned how He will turn your loss into gain. He will beautify the charred places. He will renovate the rooms you have long since closed off. He will speak life into the parts of you that have died.

I am not presently going through a difficulty right now. Recently I had a season of tears and pain that seemed unbearable. God has allowed me to remember the ache in my chest as I experienced a painful loss. It is that ache that comes to mind as I think of and pray for others who are presently going through storms of great proportion in their own life. I know they might feel angry, rejected, and alone. Even words of Scripture seem to mock them. The thought that God will restore their joy seems far fetched to them. I have thought of them at various times and I hurt for them. When the opportunities arise may I be one to walk along side them and whisper reminders to them that they long to hear and need to cling to. God has not forgotten about them or set them aside. They are being preserved daily. I praise Him for that!


Today, Father, I pray that Your work of preservation be continued in my friends. May a very small remnant be left in them. When the time is right You will multiply what is left. Their stories still live because of You. Amen.


Beauty For Ashes - Crystal Lewis & Ron Kenoly
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2CZ6IsGjEug

I welcome your questions and comments to any devotional thoughts. I am honored and delighted to share my journey with you and privileged to hear of yours.