Sunday, March 5, 2006

Moving Past the Safe Prayers


Those who hopefully wait for Me will not be put to shame. Isaiah 49:23

Nothing feels worse than putting all your confidence, trust, and expectancy in a person or event only to find your source is unreliable. When significant people let us down (either intentionally or unintentionally) it hurts. If it is out of character for them, we can usually accept it and move on. But if it happens over and over, we eventually build up a protective wall and determine not to trust them again. Tragically, if a child experiences too much false hope, he can easily learn to stop trusting all together. He vows to play it “safe” rather than risk another disappointment. As a cynical adult he assumes no one can be counted on and he is completely on his own.

Since our view of God is often shaped by the people in our life, the same mistrust can be directed toward Him. We have so embraced Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane when He said, ”Not My will but Thine be done,” that we hesitate to ask God for much of anything. I find it interesting that of all Jesus’ recorded prayers in Scripture this was the ONLY one that had those words.

When He multiplied the bread and fish to feed 5,000 people, raised people from the dead, healed people of numerous diseases, etc…. He asked with expectancy and a desire that His Father would be glorified. God honored every request!

I fear that many times my “safe” prayers are really based on faulty views of God. While I believe He can do anything I fear He is unwilling to do anything. I live in an age where the boldness of my Bible ancestors is rarely seen. I am reminded today of verses that give me permission to be bold in my requests. Verses like:

You have not because you ask not.
Let us boldly approach the throne of grace.
It is the Father’s good will to give you the kingdom.

So I must ask myself this morning, what hinders me from having radical prayers like Elijah, trusting prayers like a child, and effective prayers like Jesus?

Father, show me what prevents me from being hopeful, expectant, and trusting of You. Clear away the false perceptions I have of You. You are calling me out of hiding and showing me the truth about Your willing heart. I am moved. Amen.