Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Deliverance From Within


You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God. Jonah 2:6b (New King James Version)

What a proclamation of deliverance! While Jonah’s pit was both that of disobedience and then near death, we too know what it is like to be in a pit. I think of Bible characters whom God brought out of pits. Joseph was in the pit of prison, Moses was in the pit of the wilderness, Ruth was in the pit of widowhood and famine, David was in the pit of adultery, murder, and fear, Paul was in the pit of persecution, etc…

For most of her life, my mother battled the pit of depression. I have known family members who battled (and still do) the pit of alcoholism. I have a friend who battles the pit of loneliness and rejection. Several close friends are presently in the pit of illness. For 30 years I was in a pit of emptiness. These pits are not places in which anyone wants to be. They are uncomfortable, difficult, and lonely. But we have a God who is faithful to deliver!

I find myself wondering about circumstances that some dear people endure and it appears their deliverance may not be seen in this life time. What do I do with this verse in that case? I realize there is still deliverance. God can still deliver them from despair, discouragement, hopelessness, bewilderment, and feelings of abandonment. For I remember that Jonah spoke these words while he was still in the belly of the fish…not when he was standing on solid ground!

What is your plea this morning? If you are lonely, God is present! If you are empty, God is the One who can fill you! If you are afraid, God is the One who comforts! If you are in need of forgiveness, God is the One who invites you to embrace His forgiveness! I find that for most of us, the torments of our internal world far surpass what we are experiencing on the outside. Mental anguish, heartache, regret, loneliness, and fear are not always seen by others but they are what we can find ourselves experiencing.

Jesus still says to each one of us, “Come unto Me and I will give you rest!” While the outward circumstance may continue for a season, I know that I can experience rest and peace of mind even in the midst of any storm. I can proclaim with Jonah that God has delivered me from the pit of my internal world.

Father, Your invitations to me abound! I come to You this morning to find my rest. Amen.