Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Captive Set Free


For now I will break his yoke from off thee, and will burst thy bonds in sunder. Nahum 1:13

Ever feel like your life is under someone else's control, manipulation, or influence? Ever feel like some habit has you in its grip? Nothing leaves us more defeated then when we are held captive by strongholds. It can be a person, a habit, a generational bent, a thought pattern, or strong desires that rear their ugly heads.

We hear a lot today about addictions. Something that has a grip on your life of which you are not free. I use to buy into the lie that certain things would always have me in bondage. But today, Scripture reminds me that God is still in the business of setting captives free. It is not His desire that I stay bound. As I raise the shackles of my life to Him, He not only possesses the key to unlock them, He takes them away and destroys them. Their presence and effect on me need no longer hold sway.

Every day can be an emancipation proclamation from those things, attitudes, and people who have me enslaved....or rather that I have voluntarily put myself under their control. May I be honest enough with myself and God to admit my bondage and addictions. May I be willing to confess any known sin that feeds the stronghold. And may I allow God to do His work of freedom and restoration in me. The truth does set me free indeed!

God, You alone can help me live in freedom. I come to You. Amen.