Wednesday, February 1, 2006

A Tool for Encouragement


Each one helps his neighbor and says to his brother, "Be strong!" So the craftsman encourages the smelter, and he who smoothes metal with the hammer encourages him who beats the anvil, saying of the soldering, "It is good," and he fastens it with nails, so that it will not totter. Isaiah 41:6:7

Oh that we would begin to encourage others with the same passion as these idolaters encouraged one another!

Recently I have begun to realize the power of spoken words. I find that when I speak truth out loud, it has a way of shifting my inner world for good. And there have been numerous times a word of encouragement has been spoken to me by a friend that has been life giving.

Each of us has the power to speak life or death over other people's lives. We speak life whenever we quote portions of Scripture, speak truths about God, speak positive words over a person, or speak hope into situations. We speak death when our words are critical, abusive, negative, or insensitive.

Last week, God lead me to write a two page letter to my husband. At present, he walks in discomfort over circumstances in his life that are out of his control. I know what God is doing. He is using all of it to help Tim find his security, identity, and refuge in Christ. I wrote the letter to speak truth and life into his soul. It will be the platform for future conversations with him. My own journey over the past two years will become a reference point for me.

Whether it is my husband, a family member, a dear friend, or an acquaintance, may I take each interaction with them to verbally encourage them. It WILL make a difference for them. I saw it work in my own life and still do.

Father, may my mouth be Your tool to encourage others. Amen.