Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Heart Implants


Blessed be the LORD God of our fathers, who has put such a thing as this in the king’s heart, to beautify the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem: and has extended mercy unto me before the king, and his counselors, and before all the king’s mighty princes. And I was strengthened as the hand of the LORD, my God was upon me. Ezra 7:27,28 KJV

Read through the Old Testament and you will find many occasions whereby God put things into the hearts of His servants. It may have taken years for those seeds to come to fruition but with time God brought it all to pass. He cleared away obstacles, crossed the paths of significant people, instilled talents and abilities, orchestrated events, and watched over every detail. His requirement for His servants was step by step obedience. Many could not have told you how God was going to do it, but when they looked back they could see His hand on them as well as on His plan for them.

For Ezra, it was the rebuilding of the temple. For Moses it was leading the nation of Israel out of Egypt. For Joshua it was leading the nation of Israel into the promised land. For Esther it was delivering her people from annihilation. For Joseph it was becoming Prime Minister of Egypt and preserving the lives of many. For Paul it was introducing many to Christ and writing much of the New Testament. The list goes on and on. Although each was a different era and drama I see similarities.

Each had a passion for something. Each went through a time of testing and waiting. Each faced difficulties and what seemed like death to their dreams. Each learned important lessons about themselves and God. Each were linked with specific individuals that played key roles in their lives. Each saw God’s involvement from start to finish. Each fulfilled the very thing God put within their heart. They are my examples. They are my encouragement. They are my guides.

I know the things God has placed within my heart. I feel a camaraderie with my biblical ancestors as I move closer to the fulfillment of those things. I am learning when to put my hand to the plow and when to “be still and know that He is God.” I am learning to develop the skills He has given me while keeping my ear open to His still, small voice. It is a cooperative effort between my Creator and myself. There is still much to do and much to learn but with God’s hand upon me I am strengthened. I may not see the completed picture for decades but in the mean time the path I am on will be rich with lessons and intimate fellowship.

Father, what You have put in my heart is meant to come to fruition and bring You glory. Much is new for me as I follow You. Fulfill Your dreams for me! Amen.