Monday, July 2, 2007

A Heart and Face Lift


For then you will have your delight in the Almighty, and lift up your face to God. Job 22:26 NKJV


My affections and my attention have a powerful effect on the direction of my attitudes, actions, emotions, feelings, and motives. What I derive pleasure from and who I am constantly looking to will shape my entire day as well as my life. This verse is now my heart’s cry for I have tasted of the fruit that has come when anyone but God is my delight or my primary source of comfort, direction, and acceptance.

This morning I finally admitted the weariness of my own soul. I have spent the past couple of weeks nursing a wound of rejection. It has been tender and painful. I have mulled over the situation, sought godly counsel, shed many tears, claimed verses, fought the enemy of my soul, separated my feelings and perceptions from actual truth, acknowledged the ending of a significant relationship, and engulfed myself in a capsule of pain. But this morning I woke up desiring a new way to live in the midst of a new season of my life. I simply told God I was tired of holding on to all the hurt and ache. I was ready to let go of the spider web of emotions that had wrapped itself around every fiber of my being. I gave the entire “bundle” to Him. A huge weight has been lifted off my back as well as my heart because I know He graciously takes what I willingly give to Him. While the situation has not changed the effect it has on me did change.

I am now free to live out the principles of Job 22:26. When I am tempted to obsess over my loss I can now proclaim, “My delight is in You, O God! I lift up my face to You!” God’s word says the power of life and death are in the tongue. He has given me life-giving words to speak to Him. They are words full of healing, comfort, strength, and freedom. They are the key to unlock the chain that has been draped around my internal world. Just when I thought the darkness would be my only companion, His light has broken through and my path has suddenly burst forth with life! The enemy of my soul has lost big time and God has recaptured my heart!

I have noticed one huge thing. The longer I am on this journey and the farther I go, the more profound and deep the lessons are becoming. While the trials seem to be harder the victories are definitely sweeter. God is intent on wooing me to Himself and helping me to experience Him as my all in all. It will mean exposing the many hindrances that remain in the way. It will be a matter of releasing one thing after another to take hold of His hand. These cannot just be noble sounding words. They must be the life lines for my soul!

Father, You have waited all this time for me to give You what Your hands were ready to receive. Thank you for walking me through another valley of tears. I delight in You and I look to You. Amen.