Friday, August 24, 2007

Exposing and Replacing the Lies


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32 (New International Version)


Our minds have the amazing ability to retain everything that we have been exposed to in our life time. Not only the things we saw, heard, felt, understood, and experienced but the meanings and interpretations of those things as well. Some of those interpretations are truthful but many are not. The memories that were distorted by lies have the ability to distort reality for us even as adults. How we interpret our actions as well as the actions of the people around us is tied into our store house of memory.

The enemy of my soul was delighted to introduce lies to me from very early on. He stood ready to expose false interpretations with each event and experience. Those lies became “truth” to me and have continued to affect the things I come across on a daily basis. My reactions to things said to me, done to me, or shown to me are stemming from not only my own sin nature but my acceptance of lies from years gone by. For example, when I walk away from a conversation and I am overwhelmed with feelings of insignificance, loneliness, abandonment, rejection, anger, or profound sadness I am re-experiencing lies that were introduced to me by the enemy decades ago. The same emotions, feelings, and thoughts are surfacing and the effect is often painful.

Is there hope? Is there freedom? Absolutely! God stands ready to graciously and tenderly take me back to the very experiences where lies where introduced and interpretations were distorted. He has truth to give me that will change the way I viewed the situations. What happened was real and truthful. That part will not change. What WILL change will be the effect it had on me. As God exposes the lies and introduces the truth I will have a new and dependable grid to look through. The healing of past memories will be the catalyst for experiencing different interpretations of the present.

Will I live problem free and pain free? No, not in this life. But it will have huge ramifications for mindsets and strongholds that affect me now. I have a choice to either continue embracing lies or finally exchanging the lies for truth. It will be a life long process strewn with successes and failures but it will be in the company of my Abba Father…..the God of the past, present, and future. In His arms and under His watchful eye I am safe to go back and finally hear His interpretation of each account.

Father, take me back to the places where the enemy’s lies became my “truth” experientially. As we stand at each scene, expose the lies and introduce me to the truth…Your truth. Thank You for the freedom that will come as a result of each truthful encounter. Amen.