Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Peaceful Anticipation


I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. Psalm 130:5 (New International Version)


Recently, I have had several conversations with several different people pertaining to several different issues and yet the message I keep receiving from God through them is the same…..wait on God. Being the kind of person who wants quick fixes and easy answers, this phrase is a challenge for me. The truth of the matter is that I don’t LIKE to wait and often don’t know HOW to wait. Far too many times than I care to admit, “waiting” becomes an opportunity for me to take matters into my own hands in order to “help God out.” How absurd to think that God needs my help and how even more absurd to think that I could actually help Him! After all, He is the One with the perfect timing, perfect view, perfect wisdom, perfect plan, and perfect character. I on the other hand exude imperfection in all of the afore mentioned categories!

I find it interesting that the words “wait” and “hope” are identical in meaning. They come from Hebrew words that mean to wait, look for, hope, and expect. They do not imply an inactive twiddling of thumbs but rather active anticipation. I am not waiting and hoping in the right way if I am bothered, disturbed, anxious, doubtful, or fearful. And that is often the case when I feel the responsibility rests on my shoulders. It is times like that when I realize I am not waiting for God and hoping in His Word, but rather I am relying on myself and the people in my life to bring about a desired end.

As with so many areas in life, waiting stems from trust and truth. My trust in God must be a confident reliance in His unchanging, unlimited, unending character. What I really know and believe about God will greatly affect my trust in Him and hence affect my ability to wait on Him. And what do I do during the wait?

Faithfully carry out His day by day instructions to me and review the truth that I matter to Him and He is passionately involved in my life. It all goes back to my relationship with Him and living my life out of connection with Him. Jesus said it best when He said, “Abide in me.” I have also heard it referred to as practicing His presence. It is getting into His Word and allowing His Word to get into me. Talking to Him and listening as He speaks to me. Meditating on the truths He teaches me. It is not a formula, it is faith and it is based entirely on who God is! My waiting is not in vain and will be rewarded beyond my wildest imagination.

Father, I wait on You for healing, direction, and opportunities! You really do make all things beautiful in YOUR time! Amen!