Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Results of Practice


But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. Hebrews 5:14 (New American Standard Bible)


Our actions and words are driven by our thoughts and intentions of our heart. Change the thoughts and you change the actions. That is what Romans 12:2 means when it says, “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” And Philippians 4:8 gives us a list of what our thoughts should be directed toward: whatever is true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of a good report, and praiseworthy. Those words should not only describe our thoughts, they should also describe our words and actions.

So how does one go from thinking, saying, and doing the wrong things, to thinking, saying, and doing the right things? Practice! If I want to become good at discerning between good and evil, I must put into use the right choices on a daily basis. Each time I act upon what I know to be true and think upon what I know to be right, I sharpen my senses for discernment and sound judgment. If God is going to change my life it will be through the reformation of my mind. But it is imperative that I take the things He is showing me and I put them into practice as the opportunities arise. This will not happen by accident. It must be purposeful, determined living. My will and thinking must give way to His Spirit and His truth.

Old ways of thinking will only lose their hold on me as I choose to release them. Often that is easier said than done. I find there are times I will readily take in truth but releasing what has been comfortable or familiar to me is what is difficult. Change is forthcoming when the results of my way of thinking are no longer enjoyable. As Anais Nier so aptly stated, “And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” My blossoming happens every time I allow God to expose the lies I have come to believe and then choose to replace them with the truth. It is a necessary process I go through EVERY time my feelings, emotions, and thoughts become skewed. Any more, when I have a negative response to something that is said or done to me, I automatically start searching for the lie and then the truth. That practice is maturing me in my walk of faith. Because it has taken me so long to learn this and because it is still so new to me, I marvel each time it works! The freedom astounds me and the change moves me to a deeper appreciation for the work of God in my life. The doubts I once had as to whether or not this could work for me have been replaced by tested experience! I praise Him!

Father, guide me through the steps of sound practice and good choices today. I know the results will be powerful as I cooperate fully with You. Amen.