Friday, May 30, 2008

Acknowledging and Asking


My soul weeps because of grief; Strengthen me according to Your word. Remove the false way from me, and graciously grant me Your law. Psalm 119:28-29 (New American Standard Bible)


Acknowledging to God how I am feeling and what I am thinking, and asking Him for the what I really need have become essential elements of my journey. David is my example of how that is done and I am grateful for his precious instructions. There was a time not too many years ago when admitting the truth to God was difficult for me because of my wrong concept of God. I had the idea that His goal was for me to always be in a good mood. So I did a lot of pretending. Not any more! When sadness marks my day, I tell Him. When feelings of loneliness engulf me, I let Him know. When I am filled with regret, I confide in Him. When fear wraps itself around me, I express it to Him. When negative thinking becomes my mental diet, I admit it to Him. For I have learned those are the first steps toward release. Then it is time to ask Him for what I need. I look to Him to strengthen me with His Word and to remove the false ways in me. I marvel at His ability!

What are the false ways? All that is not of Him or meant for me. The strongholds and addictions, lies I am believing, distorted perceptions of people and situations, coping mechanisms, relational masking, bents toward idolatry, and any other way I have attempted to get needs met apart from Him. He exposes each one so that I will see what needs to be removed and then He faithfully works to remove it. Are they gone completely? Not yet but I sense the loosening of their grip. I sense a desire for change and He honors that!

A friend once told me that I have spent my life looking for ways to get needs met that were unmet in my childhood. I haven’t forgotten her words and I see the truth of what she said in multiple ways. God knows I must see what it is I am doing before I can look to Him to change me. This was scary and uncomfortable at first but over time I have learned I can trust Him to do what Hebrews 13:21 says. To equip me in every good thing to do His will, working in me that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ. I can trust Him to bring in to and take out of my life that which is necessary for my spiritual growth. Those things that I once thought would do me in have become His greatest sculpturing tools.

Father, help me to keep acknowledging the truth to You and asking for Your help. Thank you for being my Potter. Continue to mold me into Your masterpiece. Amen.


WARRIOR IS A CHILD/ DO I TRUST YOU? ~ Twila Paris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pzu-jWpcdw