Monday, June 16, 2008

Mutual Relationships


That is, that we may be mutually strengthened and encouraged and comforted by each other's faith, both yours and mine. Romans 1:12 (Amplified Bible)


I find that relationships come in three forms. There are individuals in my life for whom I am used of God to minister to. There are also individuals in my life who minister to me in profound ways. And then there are the relationships like Paul is describing whereby the strengthening, encouragement, and comfort are mutual. It runs both ways and what a blessing when it does! I am at a point in my life where that is happening more and more with the people I am crossing paths with and I am thrilled to have it that way.

Is it always easy? No. There are times I find myself feeling foolish for expressing needs or wanting to talk. There are times the unavailability of the other person can fill me with a sense of embarrassment and shame. Those are the risks that can cause me to want to retreat into a safe hole and pretend I don’t need anyone or wish I didn’t. Those are the times I can try to convince myself it would be better to live a solo existence. But more importantly, those are the times God reveals aspects about my own heart that need a touch from Him.

He knows there are reasons behind my relational issues and He wants to bring them to the light for healing and wholeness. He also knows that although relationships entail risk, they thrive on trust, respect, honesty, openness, vulnerability, and acceptance. I praise Him for the ones who provide a safe place with whom I can experience that. They have enriched my life and have allowed me to enrich theirs.

At a time when I struggled the most with the awareness of my own emotional dependency issues, I believed the answer was to live without close relationships. But my own transformation began when I became open to that very thing. As I allowed individuals to see the real me, I saw that they didn’t walk away in disgust after all. They know I have a long way to go and they are such precious cheerleaders along the way. They (more than anyone) have been the heart and hands of Jesus to me.

Do I still second guess myself, feel like a basket case, hesitate to ask for help, cringe at my own “phobias”, and long to be a different person inside and out? Absolutely! But mutual relationships are helping to lessen those moments and growth is coming slowly but surely. They remain the precious jewels in my treasure chest of life and I value them highly.

Father, thank you for all the relationships I enjoy. May each one please and glorify
You! Amen.


Kathy Troccoli sings "My Life Is In Your Hands"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmYxZAgrGI