Monday, January 25, 2010

When the Brook Dries Up


It happened after a while that the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land. Then the word of the LORD came to him. 1 Kings 17:7 (New American Standard Bible)


If we misunderstand the purpose and tentative nature of our God-given places of spiritual refreshment and sustenance we can be in for a time of great confusion and discouragement. One of the biggest and yet most difficult lessons for me to learn in my Christian life has been the temporary nature of the very things God provides me with for a time. The first time the brook of relationship dried up for me it sent me reeling. It shook the false foundation of security I was standing on and I was sent back to the very basics of my faith.

It was a time when the temptation ran strong to never again open my heart to a meaningful, significant relationship. The option that played in my mind was to distance myself from ever again experiencing the pain of loss. I feared I could not trust myself to not repeat the same mistakes if I were to cross paths with another caring and nurturing person. I bought into the lie of the enemy that there would never be change and never be freedom for me in this area. God knew better and now I do as well. It has taken nearly two years but I am finally living out of the truth of God’s intentions.

First, I had to see God’s purposeful gift of friendships to me. There are things He wants to teach and show me through other believers. I cannot read Scripture and not see the power of relationship that God means for each of His children. Every significant person that God has ever crossed my path with has left a profound mark on my life and I would not be the person I am today were it not for God’s use of them in my life.

Second, I had to see that although God was using them in mighty ways the focus still had to be on Him. He was the One pouring the very things through them that I needed. While they were the vessels, He was the Source. Their words of encouragement and life were coming from Him.

Third, I had to come to a peaceful resolve that none of them were meant to be a permanent part of my life….at least not in such a hands on and personal way. Once the purpose for their involvement was fulfilled there would be a shift of access and activity. They would no longer be the ones I took questions to or from whom I sought advice. It wasn’t rejection or abandonment. It was a drying up and leading on. There would be new directions we both would go and yet never without God’s continued watch care and voice.

I originally wrote this devotional in October of 2008. I read it now for refreshment and needed review. Since the first writing, God has allowed me the precious experience of new significant relationships and I praise Him for allowing me to live out the truth of what He showed me a year and a half ago.

Father, I have sat beside the dried beds of friendship and struggled to move forward. Thank you that the steps are finally being taken to enter the new places You have for me. Amen.

For Good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrGFQysfYU

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.