Thursday, March 25, 2010

They Are Not the Enemy


John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us.” But Jesus said to him, “Do not hinder him, for he who is not against you is for you.” Luke 9:49,50 (New American Standard Bible)


There was a time in my Christian life when I felt like these disciples. It was hard for me to accept differences among believers. If I were to go to a women’s event and during lunch sit at a table with 6 or 7 other women I was rapidly doing some calculating in my mind. I somehow had to figure out what they believed doctrinally and what standards they held. My findings would help me determine to what degree of fellowship I could enjoy with them. I have shared that aspect with others and they stand amazed that I would ever have such a rigid view.

What was my problem? I could not conceive of the fact that within the body of Christ there is much variety. I felt a need to constantly figure out who was “right” and who was “wrong” in many scenarios. I had to be the judge and the jury when it came to determining the validity of another person’s walk with God. Heaven forbid that someone should talk differently, walk differently, think differently, believe differently, and live differently than myself! I had set up a standard in my mind and with that standard I had built wall upon wall. Brothers and sisters in Christ were treated more like the enemy than family…..even within the same denominational circles.

Today’s passage brings things into perspective. The disciples knew this person was casting out demons in Jesus’ name but they were hung up because he did not do things the way THEY did things. Jesus’ answer? Leave him alone! He is not the enemy! I love the reading in the KJV for it says, “He who is not against us is for us.” If Christ says they are for us then I am free to enjoy fellowship with them. Fellow believers no longer have to listen to the same music I listen to, read the same version of the Bible I read, duplicate the same list of boundaries I have established, attend the same church I attend, hold to the same opinions on gray issues that I hold to, or worship in the same style I worship in. It is no longer my desire to live divided or separated from others within the body of Christ as I spent so many years doing. The joys I missed! The joys I now have!

Father, the day You helped me to remove the first bricks to the walls I had built within Your body of believers was memorable for me. I love Your family! I love You! Amen.

If We Are The Body - Casting Crowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SExJ9od-0zQ&feature=related

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.