Monday, April 5, 2010

Recalling the Past for the Present


Did You not, O our God, drive out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel and give it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever? Now behold, the sons of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir …. see how they are rewarding us by coming to drive us out from Your possession which You have given us as an inheritance. 2 Chronicles 20:7, 10, 11 (New American Standard Bible)


I am always interested to see patterns in Scripture. Today’s passage shows me a pattern that is found numerous times throughout the Bible. It is a pattern for prayer. Acknowledge God’s past intervention and then state the present situation. When faced with an approaching battle Jehoshaphat looked back to past victories. As I ponder that concept, I am acutely aware of how seldom I proclaim to God what He has done for me in the past. It would be especially helpful for each of us to recall previous situations that are similar to present ones.

When filled with fear, think back to times when God calmed the fears in the past. When battling an addiction, recall past deliverances. When in financial need, list the numerous times God has met former needs. When shifts in relationships threaten to alarm, remember past transitions that turned out well. I guarantee you that for any who have walked with God for any length of time, there will be past experiences to reflect upon in the here and now.

Recalling the past encourages us in our faith, reminds us of God’s willingness and ability to help, brings us to a place of praise and acknowledgement of Who God is, gives us hope, touches the heart of God, and poises us for expectation and anticipation of how God will work at the present. God may not choose to do things exactly the same way, but rest assured, He will do something, and when He does it will become a past experience we can bring into a future situation.

If we are not careful, we can find ourselves with the attitude, “Yes, God came through for me once, but will He do it again?” How much better to state, “God did such and such for me in the past and I KNOW He will be faithful in this situation as well!” Already I am formulating a list in my mind of God’s interventions in my life whereby He met needs, healed hurts, gave strength, imparted wisdom, sent significant people into my life, and restored my health. Just as we enjoy hearing someone recall some of our accomplishments, God enjoys hearing us recall His. May we bring that practice into our prayer life.

Father, You have been faithful in the past and You will be faithful in the present and future. What assurance and comfort that gives to me. Praise You! Amen.

The Battle Belongs to the Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMZ8D6nTKhg

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.