Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Coming to My Aid


And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" Matthew 14:29-31 (New American Standard Bible)


I find it interesting what Peter did not do when fear filled his heart and he started to sink. He did not attempt to swim back to the boat he had stepped out of. He did not attempt to return to the position of walking on the water. He did not consult the other disciples. He did not give up. He did not beat himself up for failing to stay on top of things. He did however direct his attention back toward Jesus and asked for His help. That cry for help did not fall on deaf ears. Jesus’ first response was to take hold of him to lift him up and then He spoke the necessary words of instruction and correction to him.

Peter’s plight was progressive. He took his eyes off Jesus and fixed them on his circumstances. He drew wrong conclusions about his ability and God’s availability to keep him from sinking. He sunk in fear rather than walk in faith. Yet he knew enough to ask for help from the One who was present and poised to give him help.

I relate all too well with Peter. I can be impulsive and full of adventure one minute only to be filled with fear and spiral down the next. I can too easily allow circumstances and emotions to get the best of me. My answer? Do what Peter did and cry out to Jesus for help with full assurance that He will come to my aid.

I am learning how easily I can turn away from the One who invites me to abide in Him, come to Him, rest in Him, trust Him, and follow Him. Staying focused is a challenge for me and when I allow my mind to wander and heart to stray I sink. When I beat myself up for past failures I sink. When the opinions of others take precedence over God’s opinion I sink. When I fail to bring issues to God I sink. When I refuse to release my grip on that which needs to go I sink. But just as quickly as I sink I can be rescued, revived, and restored. At no point does God say, “Stay there!” At no time does He turn a deaf ear to my voice. When I want His help He gives it with an outstretched hand and heart of love. Then and only then does He begin to instruct me with words of correction. May today be a day for wave walking!

Father, it is what You do AFTER I fail that astounds me. Keep correcting the distortions I have of You. Keep showing me the truth about Yourself and allow it to change me. Amen.

Help Me, God - Kathy Troccoli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sksuqT1lCUY

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.