Thursday, January 26, 2006

Relying and Resting


Now on whom do you rely? Isaiah 36:5

I find it interesting how often God's character is brought into question. I make choices each day to hold on to the truth about God or to give in to the lies. Isaiah 36 is a chapter with a message meant to chip away at the truth about God. The outline is incredible. The plot is simple. Get them to question their trust in God, get them to question those who proclaim the truth about God, get them distracted with the "success" of the enemy, and make numerous good sounding promises to them.

I must be careful when listening to the counsel of others. I must make sure it reinforces the truth about God. When I walk away do their words cause me to trust God more or less? Do their words give me hope for victory or thoughts of defeat? Is my resolve to rely on and follow God strengthened or weakened? Is my view of God enlarged or diminished? Do I hold God's hand tighter or do I find myself grasping at something or someone else to hold on to?

I must remember, God is my Protector, Provider, and Peace. It does not matter what the circumstances look like, what the people around me are saying, how impossible things seem, or whether or not I know how something is going to turn out. What matters is how tightly I hold on to the truth about God.

Often, I find myself in need of remembering how God is truly the orchestrator of my life. As I cooperate with Him I am witness to His amazing abilities. I think of the beauty of the sunset. My job is to simply stand in awe of God's work. I am meant to rely on Him and to respond to what He chooses to do with me. I cannot make the mistake of relying on myself or anyone else to accomplish God's work in me.

Father, I once again yield the canvas of my life to You. I marvel at the choices You make for me. Thank you. Amen.