Thursday, November 9, 2006

Finding the Least Among You


Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me. Matthew 25:40

In a Sunday School class I attend, the question was asked, “Have you ever been an enemy of God?” Instantly, people’s minds went to individuals who opposed the Bible, hated God, and persecuted Christians. With that image in their mind the answer to the question was, “No.” I too was thinking along the same line until God nudged me and brought this verse to mind. God wanted me to realize that my treatment toward others IS my treatment toward Him. If I have ever treated someone as my enemy then I have treated God as my enemy. In light of that, I would have to say there have been times when I was an enemy of God. Ouch!!!! I shared the thought with the class and you could see the light bulbs coming on for them.

Jesus is wanting each of us to realize the way we interact with Him and the way we interact with the people in our life cannot be separated. They are so closely tied together that He says when you do one you do the other…automatically. This point is driven home even deeper in I John 4:20 when it says, “If someone says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.” There is no mistake. What I do for others and how I treat them is noticed by God, important to God, and directed toward God.

As I begin to digest this truth a phrase from the verse stands out as well…..”even the least of these.” I find it easy to treat well the ones I love, admire, and respect. But today’s passage (Matthew 25:35-40) gives me a list of people to consider that I might otherwise not see. The hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the imprisoned. In other words, the ones who have very little in the way of this life’s goods. They stand among us but are not seen by us. Am I willing to ask God to open my eyes to the ones in the most need of my attention and help? Jesus invites me to love Him by showing love to them.

Father, help me to see ‘the least among us’ today. What I say to them I will be saying to You. What I give to them I will be giving to You. What I think of them I will be thinking of You. May I never again separate those You created in Your image from You as their Creator. Amen.