Wednesday, November 8, 2006

My Power Source


You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 2:1

It often amazes me that while I entered the Christian life fully aware that I could do nothing to save myself, I so quickly began living the Christian life out of a mindset that said I need to muster up my own strength to live in victory and bring pleasure to God. The Christian life for me became a chore of changing my outward behavior hoping it would somehow work its way into a changed heart. Although I knew Christ as my savior, I spent the first three decades embracing the religion of Christianity rather than developing a close, personal relationship with Christ. I was more comfortable conforming to the expectations of others than being conformed to the image of God.

The result? I was living my Christian life out of duty instead of delight. I was daily weighed down with self condemnation, worthlessness, negative thinking, and failure. I had resigned myself to the belief that it probably would not get any better. I was in a hopeless cycle of trying to do something I was not capable of doing. I struggled to admit any of this to myself let alone other individuals.

This morning I look at Paul’s words to Timothy in a different light. To be strong in the grace of God means I live dependent on God and cooperate with God. I realize that there is no strength in myself to do anything God calls me to do. He is not expecting me to perform for Him apart from His presence, His power, and His provision. He enables me to do what He causes me to desire to do. It is no longer on my shoulders to do it all!

So what is it He empowers me to do? Get into His Word each morning and apply the truths He shows me. Look to Him as my Source for EVERYTHING. Cultivate a deep, intimate walk with Him. Live my life out of the benefits that come from being in relationship with Him. Know that lasting change will only come as I link my mind with His and move forward arm in arm with the Creator of the universe.

Father, You never meant for me to live independent of You. I did not know that. How much better it is to find my strength in You. Amen.