Friday, January 13, 2006

A Daily Choice


And you will defile your graven images overlaid with silver, and your molten images plated with gold. You will scatter them as an impure thing, and say to them, "Be gone!" Isaiah 30:22

One person astutely said, "We truly repent when we are finally done with our sin." But we will not get to that place until our appetites change. Only God can do such a work in us that what we once embraced we now abhor, what we once held on to we now abandon, what we once cherished we now despise. I am challenged today with a way to begin praying in regards to a change of appetite for my sin. Imagine the power of prayers like....

"God, help me to see my sin as You see it. Let my sin lose its appeal. May it disgust me and may I be repulsed by it. Let me become so attracted to You that sin would lose its attraction. Let me take it as seriously as You do. Let me remove its mask of beauty to reveal its true nature. For every sin is really an idol that needs to be taken down."

Until we are ready to say "be gone" to the sinful habits that we cater to, our lives remain unchanged. It must become a daily decision on our part to discard and denounce sin.

Father, You want me free. May I let go of those things in my life that are not OF You or FOR You. Amen.