Friday, February 10, 2006

Friendship At Its Best


You are My witnesses, declares the LORD, and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before me there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me. Isaiah 43:10

Friendships are built on mutual interest in each other. We come across new acquaintances all the time. Some remain merely acquaintances. Conversations remain shallow and deep heart sharing never takes place. Some acquaintances become friendships. You recognize each other in passing, smile, and have brief conversations. Then there are the intimate friendships. You have shared with them parts of your story that few people have heard.

I love making new, deep friendships. I can tell when a friendship moves to that level because I am filled with a desire to really get to know the person. I want to hear their story so I can begin to see how their life was shaped. I want to hear of their blessings as well as their wounds. When I am allowed to see where they have been hurt and what hardships they have been through, and when they see the same revelations about me, there is a closeness and bonding that is experienced. I never feel we know everything about each other. There is the continual desire to just keep knowing them better and to be known better by them.

God is no different. He chooses us so that we can begin to know Him, believe Him, and understand who He really is. The day I opened Scripture and said, "God, show me Your heart," was the day God became a deep Friend rather than a mere acquaintance. He knows me thoroughly and wants me to know Him as well. I want to be passionate about Him. I want to feel each talk we have is like opening a treasure chest of His heart.

Father, may I hunger and thirst after You. Share the secrets of Your heart with me. The best human relationships I have are mere shadows of what I can have with You. Amen.