Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Comforting Words


Isaiah said to them, "Thus you shall say to our master, ‘Thus says the LORD, do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard‘." Isaiah 37:6

There are times when we need to seek out the godly counsel and prayers of others. Just like Judah, we find ourselves under attack. The Assyrians attacked with threats and questions of God's ability to help. Each difficulty that comes has the potential to do the same to us. Hence, we need people of strong faith to turn to when so much overwhelms us. Many times God will bring us reassurance through the words of another person.

In essence, God says to us what He said to King Hezekiah, "Don't be afraid. I will take care of everything." May we know it is true that God is not only aware of our predicament but He is actively involved in our situation. Faith means I keep holding on to the hand that is holding on to me. It means I listen to what God says above the many voices that lie to me. That I fix my eyes on Him rather than the experiences I am going through.

Presently, I am not facing storms or difficulties. But I am aware of some dear friends who are. May I use this time in my life to uphold them in prayer and encourage them as God shows me how. May I not feel helpless. Prayer is the most powerful gift I can offer for them.

Father, I can think of no greater One to turn to for my friends or myself. Show me practical things I can do for them. I place them in Your hands and I rejoice that they are safe. Amen.