Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Streams, Pools, and Springs of Water



For waters will break forth in the wilderness and streams in the Arabah. The scorched land will become a pool and the thirsty ground springs of water...a highway will be there, a roadway, and it will be called the Highway of Holiness. Isaiah 35:6-8

I recently went through a discouraging time. I won't bother listing the lies and negative thoughts that were more than happy to make their presence known. Let's just say I lived, for a time, with utter despondency. Tears came as the ache grew. I was in a place all too familiar to my soul. I know others can relate with this. Times like this use to scare me. In the past I could not see any hope of escape.

But recently I have noticed two incredible changes. I have learned how to cling to God. He is teaching me it is okay to let Him know what is going on in my head and heart. Not that He doesn't already know, but He longs for ME to see it. There use to be a time I couldn't do that. I feared His condemnation, stern look, and ready lecture. But what I experience now is His understanding, His embrace, and His listening ear. Those are the rewards for any of us who dare to live honest before Him.

The second change I have noticed is the absence of fear that things won't get better. I couldn't see myself ever having a light spirit again. But recently it is the promise that peace and joy will return to me that gives me hope. These verses show a beautiful scene unfold in the wilderness and desert....streams, springs of water, and a roadway. Those terms reveal refreshment and direction for me. I know it's coming. I know It's available. And I know eventually God will open my eyes to it. Just like Abraham saw the ram in the thicket and Hagar saw the well of water, I know I will see what isn't apparent yet.

And it happened!

Father, thank you for Your gentleness and provision when I momentarily pass through valleys. I love it when Your encouragement lifts me up. Amen.