Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Transformed Words and Thoughts


Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 (New King James Version)


I am learning that the two most powerful areas in my life to guard are my words and my thoughts. Both have the ability to rule my day in ways of blessing or ways of despair. I am amazed how quickly the wrong thoughts can plunge me into a pit so deep and produce words so dark that it leaves me spiritually, emotionally, and physically drained. But I am equally as amazed by how quickly I can be energized and freed when I take the thoughts captive, purposefully meditate on the right things, and speak the truth about God, myself, and my circumstances.

Show me a person who is bitter, angry, and negative and I will show you a person who has not embraced the truth of Psalm 19:14. What they don’t realize is how much is stemming from their heart and mind. We feast on the things we think about. That is it! That is what carries us through our day and it affects every part of our day. I want my feelings, will, and intellect to be filled with the things that are acceptable, delightful, desirable, favorable, and pleasurable to God. When that is the case, it will be evidenced in my actions and my words.

I am not saying this is an easy task. It is a battle! I find that I am doing battle against very negative thoughts all day long. When I dwell on them and allow them to rule me I reach a point of hopelessness and rage. What I am learning is to battle the thoughts with truth. A friend once suggested writing out a truth list and then proceeding to read the list out loud over my life on a daily basis…sometimes several times a day. Just simple phrases like I am loved, God is my all in all, I am an over-comer, etc… I must use Scripture as well. It is the only way to silence the murmurings and musings of my heart.

David knew the truth of this when he penned Psalm 63! It was not written when he sat on the throne of Israel or while he was enjoying the comforts of life. It was written in the wilderness. It is filled with thoughts of blessing, praise, trust, seeking, worship, and assurance. It definitely gives no hint of a victim mentality. I choose to follow his example!

Father, up until now so many of my thoughts and words have kept me from embracing Your power, love, and purpose. You desire that I replace the lies with truth and I am finally ready to do that. Amen.

Beautiful One - Tim Hughes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bC9CRv9oU&feature=related

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.