Sunday, August 30, 2009

Means for Encouragement


By all this we are encouraged. 2 Corinthians 7:13 (New International Version)


Have you ever known someone who never seemed to have a bad day? They seemed to walk in victory 24/7. They seemed to handle sin, sorrow, and difficulties with confidence and ease. I have naively believed that to be the case with a few people. I finally asked a woman whom I greatly admire if she ever struggled with the issues of life. I was profoundly struck by her answer. Knowing that I was under the assumption that she was above the struggles, she let me know that she faces many struggles and (like every one else) has to apply the truths and principles of God’s Word to her life on a DAILY basis. Her admittance to me served as an encouragement that struggles do not mean I am failing, they mean I am simply breathing and still living in a fallen world with a sin nature.

So knowing this, what is it that encourages me? God is reminding me of a number of things that He uses to help me when life gets hard and tears water the path I am on. I turn to them often out of necessity. My internal world will not see growth or change without them. Let me share them with you.

Music! In the early part of 2004 I asked God to give me the freedom to listen to music that ministers to me. What I didn’t realize at the time was how powerfully music would do just that. There are so many songs available today that were written out of difficult circumstances and they serve as balm for my soul on a continual basis.

Believers! I am encouraged by the walk of other Christians. When I hear their stories and see how far God has brought them, my faith is strengthened that He will work in me as well. I marvel that at one time they voiced the very things I voice today. The radical change I see in them causes me to cry out to God for the same to be done in my own life.

Honesty! When I come before God, stripped of all pretenses, pretending, and facades, I open myself up to His encouragement. As I have learned to pour out my heart to Him and admit what is really going on inside, He has comforted me and given me a fresh supply of joy for my sadness. The exchange is always refreshing!

Scripture! For too much of my Christian life I rarely opened Scripture on a daily basis and when I did I failed to apply it to my life. Speaking His Word over my circumstances and implementing it into my prayer life has been the catalyst for growth and change. There is no encouragement without it!

Father, I have not listed all the ways You encourage me but these have been profound. They are a part of my connection with You that keeps expanding. Amen.

Everlasting God - Chris Tomlin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgyokeWf54k

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.