Monday, May 18, 2009

Who Are We Running To?


But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. Galatians 1:15-17 (New American Standard Bible)


At one time, I would have read Paul’s words and limited them to Paul’s story only. Set apart from my mother’s womb and called through His grace? They were words that I couldn’t seem to fit into the realms of my belief system. It would require a confidence that I was not invisible, unknown, and unwanted by the Creator of the universe. How far from the truth that all is and how I praise God it is no longer the case! I no longer have trouble slipping my name into such precious passages of Scripture.

Yet one phrase has caught my attention this morning and already I am pondering the full ramifications of it. When Paul had his encounter with God and started his walk as a Christian, he “did not immediately consult” others….not even those who were apostles before him. Knowing myself and how easily I have and still do run to others, I am asking myself why Paul didn’t. The answers God is whispering to me are astounding me and reshaping my thinking.

Paul had lived the life of a Pharisee. He could all too well remember how he had allowed others to dictate doctrine, faith, standards, and conduct to him. His former life was one lived more in connection with people than with God. Their opinions and advice were held on equal footing with God’s Word (being the Old Testament only at that time). Along with that there would have been a sense of safety derived from being under the care of others. He knew little of discerning God’s voice and direction for himself. Continuing to live in such a mode would be disastrous and not enough to equip and prepare him for what lay ahead. Allowing others to give him the foundational building materials for his walk with God would for sure set him on shaky ground. At some point early on, Paul made the conscious decision to allow God to be His primary Instructor and Guide. It is not that Paul could never again confide in others and listen to their wisdom, but he knew his beginning steps and many subsequent steps had to be with God alone.

Today’s thoughts come as no surprise to me because God has spent the past several days helping me to see that there are times I need to seek His face, His Word and His voice alone. It is a shift whereby I must derive my sense of safety and direction from Him. If I know what He wants me to do in any given situation then there is no need to run it past others. If I know I have heard His voice on an issue then there is no need to seek a second opinion. There will be times when the counsel of others is appropriate and necessary, but God is wanting me to see that for me it must become the exception rather than the rule.

Father, there are many reasons I have run to others before, after, or instead of talking to You. Help me to check my motives behind my seeking them out from this point on. Help me to gain confidence in my seeking of You. Amen.

Sing for Joy - Don Moen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVeBmwVPN0&feature=PlayList&p=A0420A7CA644FA0C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=32

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.