Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Purpose and Power of Acknowledgement


Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16 (King James Version)


What would happen if, within the company of a trusted individual, you admitted and acknowledged the truth about yourself? What if you told them of a struggle, habit, addiction, sin, or fault that resided within you? What if you admitted to them what you could barely admit to yourself? For me, the result is always freedom. Freedom from condemning thoughts. Freedom from the bondage. Freedom from the spiraling moods. Freedom from fear of being found out. Freedom from the thought that if someone knew the truth they would reject me and walk away.

I have spent the last year and a half in an accountability relationship with a trusted friend. The original “purpose” was to help me walk through the pain and darkness of losing a mentor. What I didn’t realize at the start was my healing would necessitate learning to acknowledge what was going on inside my head and my heart. The first time I had to admit some of the worst things about myself I squirmed in my seat for 20 minutes. The fear of losing this person’s respect and help made it difficult to voice the truth. But when I finally spoke, the hold of my secrets was broken. Rather than being abandoned (as I feared) I was encouraged and accepted. The truth was out, I was free, and the relationship was in tact. It was a scenario that would play itself out many more times. As with forgiveness, confessing my faults to someone is for my benefit.

God knew this and placed the principle in today’s verse. It is the first step to healing and the second step is prayer. The result of combining these two steps is empowerment and freedom.

While the accountability relationship has now ended (it was time) the necessity of acknowledging the truth continues. As recent as late last night a two-day spiral ended with the sending of an email to this person and once again admitting what I was battling. I woke this morning without the weight or downward pull of my emotions.

People have often commented on the transparency of these devotionals. What I am finding is they too are a means of acknowledging the truth. When I admit that the journey is hard and failure marks my path I am the richer for it. May I never again believe it best to hide.

Father, it is by living Your kingdom principles that I am empowered to live. Acknowledging what I am tempted to hide sets me free because that is what truth does. I lift my unshackled hands and heart to You! Amen.

The Power of Your Love - Hillsong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6Qtxzd6vk&feature=related

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.