Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What He Has Done


Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. 1 Samuel 12:24 (New King James Version)


When I truly consider what God has done for me, fearing Him and serving Him in truth will be my experience. What is it He has done for me? He created me, chose me, forgave me, redeemed me, sanctified me, loved me, carried me, corrected me, comforted me, delighted in me, rejoiced over me, strengthened me, filled me with His Spirit, taught me, spoke to me, reassured me, supplied my needs, healed my hurts, used me, redirected my steps, knew me, accepted me, gave me an identity, defined me, refined me, and told me I am His. That was just a partial list but enough to evoke praise and worship from my heart. Spoken in the past tense did not minimize their present existence. While His creation of me and redemption were one time events the others are done on a continual basis. Who better to fear (trust and admire)? Who better to serve in truth?

This morning I sit in amazement and wonder at God’s involvement in my life. I am not an easy lump of clay to work with but I am also not a surprise or disappointment to my Potter. He created me and then saved me with full awareness of what my life would entail. It has been nearly 37 years since I trusted Christ as my Savior and He does not now look at me as if I were more than He bargained for. He does not say to Himself, “If I had known THIS I would have never chosen you in the first place!” Far from that, He speaks the words of 1 Samuel 12:23 over me, “It has pleased the LORD to make you His people.”

With that in mind I am free to live my life as a recipient of His mercy, love, grace, compassion, and delight. I am free to allow Him to meet the deepest needs of my heart. As one who has tried for decades to have my needs met through people, I see more fully the truth that He alone is able do what others are unable to do. Serving Him then becomes a result of His work rather than a means to have my needs met through the very ones I reach out to.

Many have been the times God has offered me His hands as well as human hands for support and encouragement. Many were the times my grip on the human hands was tighter than my grip on His. I could see what they were doing and failed to consider what He was doing. May that change.

Father, in a way that only You can work, turn my eyes, ears, heart, and mind toward You. Amen.

Worship Song - Maranatha Singers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMpbm2p-1mo

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.