Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Confident and Specific


And the king said to her, “What do you wish, Queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given to you—up to half the kingdom!” Esther 5:3 (New King James Version)


Four times King Ahasuerus (Xerxes), voiced these words to Queen Esther (Esther 5:3,6; 7:2; 9:12). He ruled over 127 provinces, so when he said, “Up to half the kingdom” it was an extravagant offer! Each time, Esther was ready with specific requests which she had thought through in advance. She stated those requests with confidence because of the king’s words to her. In essence, he was saying, “Ask and it will be given to you!” He wanted to know what was on her mind and he wanted to give her what she desired. What love and what risk! He had no idea what she was going to say and yet he made a radical promise….and KEPT it! Each and every time!

Jesus has spoken the same words to us. He said, “Ask and it shall be given unto you, seek and you will find, knock and the door shall be opened on to you.” He also said, “Ask anything in my name, and it shall be given unto you.” But one of the differences between Ahasuerus and Jesus is that Jesus already knows what we plan to ask even before we ask it!

So I am asking myself this morning whether or not I approach Jesus with the same confidence as Esther approached Ahasuerus. Am I as specific? If not, why not? I believe my answer lies in the fact that I realize God does not always give me what I ask for. It is time to look at that aspect of prayer and see the reasons He would say, “No.”

I must embrace the truth that God is able to do ALL things and that His ways are above my ways. His “no” often means, it would not be good for me to have what I am asking Him for, He has a better plan, He desires to work in a different way, or He knows what is best. It can also mean there is sin that needs to be dealt with first. In the midst of it all, He invites me to trust Him with abandon and not depend on my own understanding. As I pray I must review the character and heart of God. If God’s denial of my request leaves me with thoughts of not being loved or cared for then I am buying into lies. The truth of the matter is that Jesus has invited me to ask and that gives me confidence. His sovereignty and wisdom gives me peace.

Having said this, let me also say that I believe Jesus intends and desires to do so much more than I dare to ask. I have to wonder what would happen if I received Christ’s words in the same way that Esther received Ahasuerus’ words. May I find out!

Father, help my prayers to be both confident and specific. There is much about prayer that still eludes me but I want to learn. Lord, teach me how to pray! Amen.

Draw Me Close - Kathy Troccoli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgQJVfUQLho

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.