Wednesday, January 12, 2005

God's Invitation to Me


He said, “Take it up for yourself.” So he put out his hand and took it. 2 Kings 6:7

2 Kings is full of short but powerful miracle stories. The one I read this morning is just 7 verses long. In condensed form it goes like this. A man was chopping a tree down when the axe head fell off the handle and went into a lake. He panicked because it was borrowed and took the situation to Elisha. He showed Elisha where it had gone into the water. Elisha cut a stick, threw it into the water, and the iron axe head floated! He then told the man to take it up for himself and the man did so. What a precious reminder to me that if it matters to me, if it concerns me, if it weighs heavy on my heart, it matters to my heavenly Father. What a personally involved God we love and serve!

This morning, 2 Kings 6:7 speaks volumes to me in another way. It becomes the words whispered to me from the Lover of my soul each morning when I open His Word and drink in His truth. I have many books I enjoy reading that feed my soul in incredible ways. I feel blessed to metaphorically sit at so many people’s feet and take in their words of wisdom. I also enjoy going to ladies’ events. As they share from their hearts the messages God has integrated into their lives I am encouraged and enlightened as well. Many songs have reached my heart. Some bring me to tears and others fill me with indescribable praise! People come and go in my life that never fail to leave impressions on me as I see God’s fingerprints in their own life. But none of these experiences surpass the first one.

When I open the Bible for myself I am responding to God’s invitation to “Take it up for myself.” I am reaching forth the hands of my soul. While it is good to learn from others, I must make sure I am daily spending time with God in His Word. It comes alive to me in practical, applicable ways. The words that were penned thousands of years ago are just as fresh and alive today for each person who dares to read them for themselves. Not only do I find myself relating with the feelings and emotions of the people I am reading about but many times God shows me another “twist” to the story. One that is relevant for me. When that happens, my spirit takes a leap and I am filled with wonder!

Father, Your Word is so inter-active! As I take it up once again for myself I am learning and changing. How gracious of You! Amen.