Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Hearing What He Has to Say


Let these words sink into your ears. Luke 9:44 NASB
Let these sayings sink down into your ears. Luke 9:44 KJV
Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you. Luke 9:44 NIV


When was the last time you really paid attention to what God was trying to tell you either in prayer, through His Word, via a church service, through a book you were reading, or through an experience you were going through? I can tell when what God is attempting to tell me finally gets through. Things become crystal clear to me, my heart feels settled, my mind is at ease, and I proceed with assurance that I did not formerly possess.

Jesus spoke these words to His disciples as He was telling them of His impending death. He speaks these words to me each time I open Scripture. In truth, there is much He wants to tell me….every day. I am always amazed at how quickly He will give me answers when I ask Him questions about things that puzzle me. There are times He whispers truth to me when my heart is perplexed over certain issues.

Just last week He shared two profound truths with me that I needed to hear and they had a huge effect on my present journey with Him. The first truth was that from the time He formed me in my mother’s womb, His love for me has not changed, diminished, or been altered one bit. It has stayed the same! I needed to hear that. I needed the truth of His words to sink down into my ears. To really get it! Tears came as the truth sank in.

The second truth was that many times I can embrace people, teachings, books, music, etc… and still fail to embrace Him. Still fail to look to Him to meet my needs, satisfy my longings, fill my empty places, give me direction, enlighten me on issues, and give me my worth, value, and identity. That is often the reason I may not feel as close to Him, as connected to Him, or as sheltered by Him. He let me see that this is a choice. So now I start my days choosing Him. I choose to abide under the shadow of His wings, to live by His truth, to follow in His steps, to gravitate toward Him as never before. Throughout the day, when necessary, I verbally state the same things to Him. May my ears continue to receive all He desires to tell me.

Father, may I never again be dull of hearing. The more I take in Your words, the more easily I come to recognize Your voice. Speak to me. Amen.