Tuesday, February 14, 2006

He Has Me Covered


I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I will also hold you by the hand and watch over you. Isaiah 42:6

Each of us wants to know that we are not alone in this life. When I first began this journey with God two years ago, God brought a person into my life to encourage and instruct me. She metaphorically took my hand and said, "I will walk with you." All along, I have appreciated her wisdom and counsel. It has made a huge difference in my life.

How precious it is then for me to read this verse and see God's tenderness toward me as well. While these words originally pertained to Christ, they are whispered to each of us as believers. I sense a gentleness in God's voice as He reassuringly says, "I have called you, I will hold your hand, and I will watch over you." I have sensed His hand and His watchful eye during some of the darkest moments as well as the mountaintop experiences.

This morning I am touched by His individual, personal involvement in my life. What I failed to find in my earthly father, I embrace and adore in my heavenly Father. His tenderness, compassion, and protection leave me in awe. I picture a daddy with a toddler who is just learning to walk. He towers over his little one, bends over him from behind, holds his hands for support, and watches every move he makes.

I remember when my spiritual legs were wobbly. Each step felt uncertain. There was so much I was letting go of but His hands were there to hold on to. Now the journey has gotten more intense and my grip has tightened. God's hands have remained available and strong. He has not taken His eyes off me. His presence has been felt.

Father, I feel at times that I am so young in You. May I never walk independently of Your hand or Your eye. Amen.