Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Master Teacher of Each Day


I have not turned aside from Your ordinances, for You Yourself have taught me. Psalm 119:102

When I taught school, nothing blessed my heart more than seeing students sitting on the edge of their seat taking in everything that was being taught. I took delight in their hunger to learn. And God takes delight in my hunger to learn from Him. Throughout Psalm 119, David continually asks God to teach him. There is no doubt he sits on the edge of his seat of life with a ravenous appetite to learn from the Master Teacher. He knows it is the most essential element to his life.
What strikes me this morning is David’s realization that it is God Himself who is his teacher! David was not only in love with God’s Word but he was in love with the God of God’s Word. His appetite was huge, his passion was deep, and his teachable spirit was profound.

God has the same desire for each of us. He notices when one of His children is longing to hear His voice. He sees the eagerness in their eyes, the thirst in their spirit, and the openness of their mind to what He has to teach them. He honors the short cries of their heart like, “Show me Yourself. Teach me Your ways. Let me know You better.” He is a God who wants to be known by His creation! His intent is that we go through each day taking in His lessons of life.

Whether I am reading His Word, sitting under a speaker, reading a book, taking a walk, listening to music, or doing any number of other things, God wants to speak to me and teach me valuable things. I don’t want to miss any of it! I want Him to be my primary Teacher. So even when it is another individual doing the talking or writing, I want to sense His voice coming through their words. And I see that happen every time I really connect with what I am hearing or reading. It is like an antihistamine for my spirit. My thinking becomes clear, the truth is very understandable, and I walk in confidence that God has just given me a one on one lesson!

God’s classroom door is always open. May I step in, take a seat, and drink in all that He has to say to me today. It will affect not only my thinking but my actions, attitudes, and words as well.

Father, You are the ultimate Teacher. I am ready to listen and learn in Your presence today. May I not miss a thing! Amen.