Friday, August 28, 2009

A Private vs. Public Display


Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:16-18 (New American Standard Bible)


The Pharisees of Jesus’ day wanted to be seen and noticed by others. Matthew 6 gives three instances where their public performance was exposed. Their righteous acts, benevolence toward the poor, and fasting were on display for all to see….they made sure of it. Sometimes it was with trumpets and fanfare. Sometimes it was with their countenance and appearance. Something in them needed the attention. Something in them needed others to know what they were doing. What should have been private acts and known only to God and themselves became the drama on their stage of life.

Yesterday, I asked God about my own tendencies toward public displays. I asked Him why it was that I often need others to know when I am struggling with emotional issues….to know I am sad, fearful, or distraught. It is not that I necessarily tell them with my words as much as show them with a gloomy face, slumped shoulders, and noticeable silence. Something in me was choosing this route of behavior and putting a stop to it would not come without God’s revelation.

God proceeded to take me down a trail of reasoning that astounded me. It went as such. I show the sadness so sympathy and attention from others will be evoked. It makes me feel cared for and loved. The need for what I deem as love drives my behavior. It is just one aspect of trying to fill the holes in my soul with what I can derive from others rather than what I can receive from my Father. Once I saw the reason, God graciously gave me a step of obedience to take in order to begin correcting my behavior. His words to me were, “Pam, you must begin practicing a disposition that does not let others know you are having a bad day. In your smile, voice, and body language you must display My joy and peace that resides in you. Those simple changes will be what I use to actually change your heart and mind. This is the beginning of you losing your bent toward living out of your neediness. Trust Me and obey.” With joy I am here to tell you that it works! I was amazed that when my face and voice changed it lead to internal changes. It is a kingdom principle I am seeing for the first time and I want to embrace it!

With that said, I do want to clarify that there are times when it is appropriate to show sadness. The loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, and true devastations of life are some of those times. The personal example I gave had more to do with showing sadness as a way to simply feed off the sympathy of others for the sake of emotions. Of THAT I seek to be free!

Father, I praise You for showing me the things I need to know. How I have lived my life up to this point is merely a shadow of how You would have me live it. Keep removing the hindrances to the abundant life! Amen.

There is Joy in the Lord - Cheri Keaggy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMhTFzzvIs4

Getting into God's Word and letting God's Word get into me one truth at a time.