Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Drawn With His Cords


I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love. Hosea 11:4

It gives me a tender picture of God drawing me to Himself. But often there are cords that have to be removed first. For in my quest to find needs met through people, I wrap my own cords around them and around myself. These are cords that are meant to abstract something from them that I need, crave, or desire. I look to them for security, identity, happiness, peace, and a host of other things they are not really able to give me…..at least not in the amount and with the frequency that I want. I find myself tied to a source that is ill equipped to supply my need. Even though I know this, I refuse to change sources. When all the while God is standing, waiting to draw me with His own cords. Cords that are meant to tie me to Him as my source.

Ideally, He would have me cut the cords of my own making and allow myself and the other person to go free. But I am hindered from doing that. My own fears, insecurities, and hunger have me convinced if I let go of them I will be even emptier than I am when I am attached to them. I cannot see that everything I am looking for is being offered to me by my Father. I cannot imagine for one minute that He could satisfy and fulfill me beyond any person. I cannot imagine it because I have never experienced it.

The closest I came would be the times I got excited over something I had learned and ran to someone else to tell it to. Their excitement with me fed my need for approval. Their smile and positive response brought joy to me….but only for a short while. Then I would have to look for another opportunity to take another nugget of truth to them. It was as much an addiction to me as any drug. When they gave me what I wanted I lived on cloud nine. But when they weren’t available or willing to accommodate my insatiable appetite I walked hungry and disappointed. I could not seem to just enjoy being with God and living off His encouragement. I did not think it was possible.

Recently He removed the cords of my own doing and has begun to draw me with His cords. It is all so new I don’t even know what to make of it. But it has me wanting more. And unlike human sources, He is always available, always ready, always willing, and always able to meet my needs. I cannot wait to see what this journey looks like a year from now.

Father, You draw me with cords of love. Help me to cooperate with You. Amen.