Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Finding Encouragement


And Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose and went to David at Horesh, and encouraged him in God. I Samuel 23:16

Do you have a Jonathan in your life? Someone who encourages you in God? I hope so! God has blessed me with a number of special Jonathans. A couple of them I have never met face to face. We have corresponded via emails but our souls are connected and the encouragement runs deep. Many times God has used their words to sustain me during difficult times.

Last evening I experienced an all too familiar feeling of discouragement. I knew it was coming. For a number of days it had lurked in the background and I kept the battle between God and myself. But this time I felt the urge to phone a friend for the specific purpose of being encouraged in God. I knew she would remind me of the very things I needed to hold on to in my journey. I knew she would speak life giving words to my weary soul…and she did!

At the same time, I knew there would be one specific word she would have for me that would energize my faith once again. Sure enough, about 30 minutes into the conversation she said something specifically about standing in my faith. That resonated very powerfully with me and my downcast eyes sprang to life again. The dark clouds of my spirit gave way to pure sunshine. Jonathans are truly God sent!

But what about those times when we must encourage ourselves in God? God has recently shown me how to do that. Encouragement is found in simply proclaiming to Jesus all He is to me! To voice out loud, “Jesus, You are my Peace. You are my Rock. You are my Comforter. You are my Strength. You are my Shelter. You are my Sustainer. You are my Healer. You are my Teacher. You are my Shepherd. You are my Compass. You are my Guide. You are my Protector. You are my Friend.”

I encourage you today to begin your own list of proclamations. The sky’s the limit. A trip through the book of Psalms will give you many “You are my ________” statements. Truth spoken out loud will minister to you whether you are doing the talking or someone else is. May you be encouraged in God in profound ways today and always.

Father, whether I say the words to myself or a friend says them to me, Your truths reach my heart. I cherish them all. Amen.