Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Giving What Is Due


There is none like You, O LORD; You are great, and great is Your name in might. Who would not fear You, O King of the nations? Indeed it is Your due! For among all the wise men of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is none like You. Jeremiah 10:6,7

Sometimes….many times, we need to just stop everything and proclaim the truth about our God. He is incomparable to anything or anyone in this world. His greatness reaches far above my ability to grasp with my mind. He is great in His might, His forgiveness, His love, His watchfulness, His presence, His knowledge, His very being! He deserves far more than we give Him and He gives us far more than we deserve.

It is so easy to become enamored with His creation and that’s okay if it ultimately leads me to worship and praise Him! He has given us so much in this world to enjoy and He delights in our enjoyment of it. Like a parent who can’t wait for their child to see the surprise they have in store for him, God waits for the moment our eyes are open to one of His gifts.

Last night I was out walking past a beautiful wooded area near our home. I love to go just before dusk so I am sure to see numerous deer. I was not disappointed as I saw 7 bucks and 1 doe! They were so strong and graceful. Exquisite pictures of God’s creation and His character. But God waited for me to notice the night sky He had prepared. Red, wispy clouds against a blue sky. Gorgeous! He knew the minute my eyes saw it and He heard me take in my breath. It was a moment of appreciating His hand once again.

There are times I am so taken by His greatness and so appalled by my own lack of appreciation for Him. Tears fell as I asked Him to give me a heart of gratitude for all He has done and continues to do in my life. I want to be grateful for the circumstances of my life and the growth that will result from them. I want to acknowledge the many ways He touches my life. I want to see the precious people in my life as God sent.

It occurred to me last night that people are the only ones created in God’s image. And yet of all creation we are the ones who can break the heart of God. No other creature turns away from Him to worship something or someone else. May He give us a heart to follow Him, love Him, serve Him, praise Him, and bring delight to Him.

Father, give me a heart for You. My praise is Your due! Amen.