Thursday, January 18, 2007

It is Meant to Go Both Ways


You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Psalm 32:7,8 NASB

My concept of prayer was distorted for many years because I was under the impression that while praying I was the one who was suppose to do all the talking. It was a one-sided conversation that left me feeling quite alone and disconnected. Much like speaking into a tape recorder rather than having a two-way conversation over the phone. My prayer life took on a whole new dimension when an insightful person shared this profound truth with me: “Prayer is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue.” Talk about a huge revelation! Today’s passage is a demonstration of one such dialogue between God and David.

As David is proclaiming the truth about who God is, God is declaring what He will do! David isn’t asking God to be his hiding place, his preserver, or his deliverer. He is stating those things as facts. May that concept alone reshape my prayers. Many have been the times I have asked God to be certain things for me when all the while I should have been proclaiming that He WAS those things to me. Just imagine God’s delight when we voice to Him, “You are my strength, my help, my refuge, my stronghold, my comforter, my friend, my counselor, my protector, my shepherd, my rock, my guide, my deliverer!”

Once we have stated those truths we need to take the time to listen for God’s response. He gave one to David and He desires to do the same for us. It may be Scripture He brings to mind, a song, or just a thought that you know came from Him. I think back to moments when the dialogue has been that real for me. I can remember a time I cried out to Him that I felt worthless and mattered to no one. His response? “You matter to Me.” The tears flowed as I drank in His words to me. How incredible to realize that God not only hears us when we pray but He has something to say to us as well!

Father, open my ears to Your voice. May my prayers never again be one-sided. May listening be as much a part of my prayer life as speaking has been. Amen.