Thursday, January 18, 2007

Standing In Amazement


And amazement came upon them all, and they began talking with one another saying, “What is this message? For with authority and power He commands the unclean spirits and they come out.” Luke 4:36

When was the last time you stood in amazement? Perhaps it was at receiving something you never dreamed would be yours. Or you saw something that took your breath away. Someone did or said something that left you speechless. Perhaps you can relate with a friend of mine who after two years of struggling with infertility has finally heard those long awaited words, “You are pregnant!” She is so amazed that God moved on her behalf and blessed her with her heart’s desire. I rejoice with her!

The people at a synagogue in Capernaum were amazed at Jesus’ teaching as well as his intervention in the life of a man possessed by a demon. It was a short but powerful moment. This demon, more than anyone else in the room, knew who Jesus was and knew that even he had to obey His commands. And Jesus’ command was effective! “Be quiet and come out of him!” was said with such authority and power that the demon was forced to leave and the crowd stood in amazement. They left this church service like they had never left one before. They couldn’t stop talking about it or thinking about it.

That is what I want my relationship with God to be like on a daily basis. When I open His Word I want the wisdom and beauty of what I read to amaze me. When I receive His encouragement throughout the day, take in a new truth, see Him work out situations, experience His power in my life, watch Him intervene in the life of a loved one, or even open the barren womb of a friend, I want to be so amazed I can’t talk about it or think about it enough.

A number of truths come to mind that amazed me when I first saw them. God’s love is not dependent on what I do. God’s forgiveness is complete. Freedom in Christ is a gift God loves to bestow on us. Prayer is a two-way conversation. The positive verses in the Bible are meant for me. God has a specific call on my life. Tears often flowed as truth entered. May I never lose the desire or ability to be amazed by my Abba Father.

Father, I truly stand amazed in Your presence! May amazement fall fresh on me today. May I not allow anything or anyone to amaze me more than You. Amen.