Thursday, January 18, 2007

Suspicions of the Heart


Perhaps the Spirit of the LORD has taken him up and cast him on some mountain or into some valley. 2 Kings 2:16 (New American Standard Bible)

Fifty prophets witnessed some remarkable events. They saw Elijah and Elisha cross the Jordan River on dry ground. They saw Elijah depart for Heaven in a chariot of fire. They saw Elisha cross back over the Jordan River on dry land. They proclaimed the truth that Elijah’s spirit now rested on Elisha. After all that, I am amazed that their suspicions of God surface. They not only entertain thoughts of God tossing Elijah’s body into a mountain or valley grave, but they actually voice the suspicions. They want to search for the body they are sure God has dumped. I’ll give them this much, they are not guilty of hiding their true feelings and thoughts.

This is no new experience for God. Ever since the Garden of Eden man has continually raised a suspicious eye brow to God and questioned His character, motives, power, love, and heart. When life gets messy and uncomfortable the nagging accusations against God begin to rear their ugly heads. I have to admit to many times in my own life when the spirit of suspicion desires to instill in me lies about my heavenly Father. Times when deep down inside my heart are the statements too dark to voice. Statements like, “God doesn’t care. He doesn’t see what is happening to me. He isn’t involved in my life. I am of no concern to Him. He enjoys seeing me struggle. I am just one of many to Him. He has more important things to tend to.” The list could go on and on. All lies but all desirous to see me stay in a position of fear, discouragement, and shame.

It is a horrible way to live the Christian life. For years I did not know God was the One I needed to take those thoughts to. The very One who could defeat the thoughts was the One I stood suspicious of. The enemy of my soul loved the fact that I remained in a prison cell from which God longed to release me. How He aches for each of His children to know the truth about Him. He longs to help us replace the lies and distortions with truth from His Word and His Spirit. While the wrong thoughts have abounded, He is still in the business of causing blind eyes to see!

Father, I acknowledge my suspicions so that You can extract them from my mind and implant me with the truth about Yourself. This is a process we must journey together. I place my heart in Your hands where I know it will be well cared for. Amen.