Saturday, January 13, 2007

It Always Leads to Actions


But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him, and when he saw him, he felt compassion. Luke 10:33

An Israelite is leaving Jerusalem and heading for Jericho. On the way he is robbed and badly beaten….even left for dead. A priest and Levite both see him but ignore his plight. They have no sense of responsibility to get involved. A Samaritan sees the same thing they see, a person in desperate need of help, and he feels compassion. To him, it doesn’t matter that he has places to go, people to see, and things to do. He felt compassion and compassion is always the catalyst for action.

It is incredible to see the list of things this Samaritan does for a fellow human being. If you are not familiar with this story take a moment and read Luke 10:30-37. I don’t know if he planned to do all the things he did or if along the way he did something and then kept asking himself, “Is there something else I can do?” Each thing he chose to do took more time and investment on his part. And when he was finished we never read whether or not the person he helped ever thanked him or even saw him again. We just know that his compassion was displayed in tangible and multiple ways. Maybe he had been in that situation of need himself at one time. Or maybe a loved one had been in a similar plight. Whichever the case may be, his compassion and his actions leave us a rich example to follow.

We live in a world that is full of needs. People are hurting and in need of help. It may be physical, spiritual, social, economical, emotional, or mental help they need. They are in our homes, our churches, our work place, and our community. Are we in tune enough with God and people to see the needs around us? Compassion always leads to involvement….otherwise it is simply pity. Many times in Scripture we read how Jesus was moved with compassion and then actions followed.

I am asking myself this morning, do those words mark what I did yesterday? Did I notice anyone in need, feel compassion, and then become involved? It does not have to be just in the area of finances. Did I listen when someone needed a sounding board? Did I embrace a person who just needed a hug? Did I write a note of encouragement? Did I do something besides notice and just pass by?

Father, today, help me to see the needs of those around me. Give me insight, compassion, and practical ways to minister to others. Amen.