Saturday, January 13, 2007

Knowing What to Say


When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say. Luke 12:11,12

Do you have a difficult conversation looming on the horizon? Can’t seem to find the right words or even know where to begin? Today’s passage is a good reminder that God wants to be the author of our conversations with people. Whether it is a difficult conversation, a confrontational issue, sharing the gospel, making an apology, or reestablishing broken lines of communication, God wants us to know that He has the right words for us and they will be given at the moment when needed. Only God knows the hearts and minds of each person involved and only God can orchestrate the right words, tones, and innuendos.

Too often I have rushed into conversations without first asking God to anoint my mouth, ears, and mind. I charged in with my own “wisdom” and things quickly deteriorated and fell apart. What could have been a rich conversation turned sour. What could have been a deep connection came up empty. What have I learned? Many things!

First of all, timing is essential. If I am too quick or too slow I am operating outside the boundaries of God’s appointments. What I tried to force a week ago comes naturally this week. What felt out of place last month now fits like a glove. Timely words spoken in the right way at the right moment are priceless.

Rechecking my motives is essential. What is controlling my agenda with the other person? My flesh or my spirit? Conversations are most productive when bathed in prayer and wrong motives are exposed. What may start out wrong can end up right! God will let me know when my heart is finally in the right place. Since the words I speak originate in my heart it is essential I check the roots daily.

Finally, it is imperative that I ask God to bring to my mind those things He really wants me to say. During the course of conversations I am amazed at the flood of thoughts He will instill in me. Sharing becomes a joy as I know His words are getting through.

Father, take the words I speak today and use them in powerful ways. Give me words to speak that are just right! Amen.