Saturday, January 13, 2007

It Is Never Insignificant


Come and see the works of God, Who is awesome in His deeds toward the sons of man. Psalm 66:5

Recently God has begun to show me a truth that I have missed for decades! The truth is that EVERYTHING He does is significant, important, meaningful, and valuable. So often we want to say that is true about the BIG things like miracles, creation, and radical intervention, but lately I am struck by the fact that even the “small” seemingly insignificant areas of our life are to be included. It does not matter what it is, if God’s finger is touching it there is significance.

Know this, if I label something as insignificant than I am ultimately saying God is insignificant and so are His works. That is certainly not true. If I wait for the big things to happen in my life I will miss many opportunities to see God’s hand at work in my every day moments. Just yesterday God set aside a surprise for me! I went to the Christian bookstore and decided to look at some music CDs. Anyone who knows me very well knows I enjoy Kathy Troccoli’s music. I spotted a CD I wanted to purchase and it was marked down to $10. I thought that was a great deal. But just before I stepped over to the cash register to buy it, someone handed me a 50% off coupon. Hence, I bought it for a mere $5! If I don’t see God’s involvement in my life I could easily shrug my shoulders over a mere coincidence. But seeing God’s work as significant evokes praise! My heart spills over with thanksgiving, appreciation, and joy!

I don’t want to miss His gracious acts throughout each day. And neither do I want to base my own significance on what I think of myself or what others think of me. Each of us live with the negative effects of people’s negative words, attitudes, and actions toward us. It is time I formulate a list of what God says about me and all the ways He adds significance to my life. His thoughts toward me are too numerous to count, His mercies are new to me each morning, He loads me with blessings on a daily basis, His goodness is evident. May my own personal significance stems from a realization that God’s works are abundantly significant. May I learn to hold up truth against everything else that may attempt to fill me with feelings of insignificance.

Father, keep making Your presence, power, and provision known in my life. Don’t let me miss a single detail of Your involvement. Amen.