Saturday, January 13, 2007

It is Not an Insult to Ask


And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the LORD the third day? 2 Kings 20:8

I am surprised that Hezekiah is asking for a sign that God will do what He said He would do. After all, Isaiah had just told him what God had said in relationship to his sickness. Not only would he be healed but he would live an additional fifteen years! But instead of rejoicing and resting in the realization that he has been granted such an extravagant answer to his prayer, he is asking God for some proof that it will actually happen. Much like Gideon who put out fleeces to make sure he really was hearing from God via an angel’s visit. Was God’s word not good enough for them? Apparently not.

My surprise turns to amazement as I see God give Hezekiah and Gideon what they asked for. Hezekiah is given a choice of seeing a shadow recede or progress by ten degrees. He chooses the recession of the sun’s shadow. Gideon places a fleece out (on two occasions) and sees the dew affect the ground and fleece in opposite ways. Both men are given physical demonstrations to encourage them in their faith. God was gracious to show them with their eyes what they struggled to embrace in their spirit. What a personally involved God we serve!

My Bible has some interesting notes regarding signs and the possible reasons God so willing gave them. God gave signs to strengthen their faith, as proof or a guarantee that He would fulfill His promise, to demonstrate authority, provide assurance, bear testimony, give warning, and encourage faith.

It is no different for us today. In the course of our daily lives we sometimes need confirmation of God’s leading in tangible ways. It may be through a verse, words spoken in conversation, some physical display, or any number of creative methods God chooses to implement. Whatever the case may be, my heavenly Father isn’t insulted by a genuine desire for assurance. He will go to any length to help me walk by faith!

Father, while my faith pleases You, I know I can be honest with my uncertainties and doubts. Your response is always loving! Amen.