Sunday, January 14, 2007

Life in the Desert


And the child continued to grow and to become strong in spirit, and he lived in the deserts until the day of his public appearance to Israel. Luke 1:80

I find it interesting how many significant people in the Bible spent time in the deserts or wilderness before entering their public ministries. Moses spent 40 years in the desert tending sheep before God lead him into Egypt as their human deliverer. David spent years in the wilderness running from King Saul before he himself became the king of Israel. John the Baptist spent years in the deserts before his public ministry. Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the wilderness before beginning His public ministry.

I think of a desert as a dry, hot, uncomfortable, lonely place. Very little vegetation or shade to speak of. Not the kind of place I would care to live. But in each of the examples I sited above I notice similarities. The desert experiences were necessary and temporary.

That encourages me when I find myself in a desert of sorts. To me, a desert experience becomes my personal habitat when life has become uncomfortable, people have stepped aside for awhile, and I am suddenly sensing an internal loneliness. It is hard at that time to sense growth in my Christian life and yet in John’s case he grew and became strong in spirit while living in the desert.

There was a time in my life when being in the desert was the last thing I desired and the least enjoyable part of my journey. But over the course of time I have come to realize the benefits of such times. While there are many times God surrounds me with Christian friends who greatly encourage me, there are times when He pulls me aside for solitary time with Him. It is then that He takes away the distractions of life and intends to open up heart issues to me that I have failed to see. He becomes my personal tutor and I become the only student in the classroom. The lessons I learn from Him go deep into my soul and real growth begins.

It is also a resting time. But knowing it is temporary gives me an incredible hope that He is preparing me for a work. I don’t know what it is at the moment but I trust Him to bring it about. And He will.

Father, the conditions of my desert are uncomfortable at times but the sense of Your presence and instruction are precious. Teach me all I need to know for what You will have me do when I leave the desert. Amen.