Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Power to Turn the Words Away


Perhaps the LORD your God will hear all the words of Rabshakeh, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to reproach the living God, and will rebuke the words which the LORD your God has heard. Therefore, offer a prayer for the remnant that is left. 2 Kings 19:4

We can so easily accept the things that are said about us. Some adults still carry the words spoken to them or over them from their childhood. Words that were spoken in anger, words that were spoken to hurt, words that were not true. I would venture to say that most of the negative thoughts we have about ourselves can be traced back to something that was said about us by our family, classmates, neighbors, or even church members. For some reason, we too easily dismiss what is true for what another person says or thinks. And worse yet, we accept what another person says over what God says in His Word about us.

I am learning more and more how important it is to know what God says about me. To find my value and worth in His Word. He has heard every negative accusation that has been leveled against me. His ears have been witness to the lies, misperceptions, and unreliable words spoken to, over, and against me. Each one of us have a trail of such sentences flung at us that stick like darts in our souls. God is the only One who can truly define me and place the appropriate labels over my life. For He is the only One who knows me thoroughly and can read my thoughts, motives, and intentions. Others are limited by what they see, perceive, and understand. But they are limited to the external view. Only God can look on the heart.

I love the reminder in this verse that God can rebuke what He has heard. One definition of rebuke is to turn back or keep down. I like to imagine the negative words like arrows being turned back by my Father.

Whether it is something presently being said or something that was said years ago I can rebuke it. I can stand up and say it is not true! Spoken out loud, my rebuke carries the power to turn back the words. It grounds me once again in the reality of who God says I am. While God says I am a sinner, He also says I am cherished, loved, the apple of His eye, delighted in, rejoiced over, engraved on the palms of His hands, and made in His image. He not only loves me unconditionally, He loves me completely!

Father, keep reminding me of what You know to be true. I turn my ears to hear Your whispers. Amen.