Sunday, January 21, 2007

What Music Does for God


But now bring me a minstrel, and it came about, when the minstrel played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him. 2 Kings 3:15

Music is so multi-faceted in its effects. When King Saul had an evil spirit, David’s music sent it packing. When the children of Israel went to war, music led the way to victory. Music was a part of Old and New Testament worship. In today’s verse as music is played, God’s hand is present. Paul and Silas sang and an earthquake followed.

In the past I have always viewed music in two aspects ~ what it does for me personally and how it can be used to praise the Lord. But today I am seeing another benefit. Throughout Scripture I see a pattern whereby music actually attracts God. He is drawn to it and moved to action by it. The music before a message, music before our quiet time, or music at any time is like putting a welcome mat out for the King of Kings. It is an invitation for God to be present and to display His power.

I had to stop a moment just now and listen to a praise song called “Shout to the Lord.” As I listened I could see how that song would attract God. How it would draw Him into the where I am at. Songs that are sung from our hearts cause God to take notice. We were created in God’s image. Our attraction to music and how it affects us is a mere shadow of what it does for God as well.

Think of what it would be like if someone wrote music with you in mind. The words talked about you and presented all the positive aspects of your life and accomplishments. Many songs written today are stories put to music. I have always loved music but when I became a Christian the music took on a whole new meaning for me. As I listen it draws my attention to the One the music is about. Whether it is a song of praise, a song about God’s character or work, or a testimonial type song about God’s intervention in a person’s life, I am affected by it. God is bigger in my mind after the music plays. But this morning I am hit with the realization that music affects God as well.

I think back to church services and I want to envision the music drawing God into the worship service. I want to see Him pleased and touched by the songs that are about Him and for Him.

Father, music touches You, doesn’t it? May I be more drawn to that aspect. Amen.