Sunday, January 21, 2007

Two Thrones to Choose Between


Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. Romans 6:12,13

This morning I am picturing two throne rooms. In each a king sits upon his throne and not only allows but welcomes your presence. He smiles when you enter, motions for you to come closer, and is pleased to hear you say, “I am here to do as you wish. All that I am is yours. Please use me in your service. I am here to serve you.” At this particular moment you are there to present your eyes, ears, mouth, hands, and feet as tools to be used as he pleases. One throne is occupied by the King of kings and the other throne is occupied by sin.

In this passage I see choice written all over the place. As God’s child, I (more than anyone) have a choice as to whom I present myself and for what I proceed to do. Neither sin nor God forces my entrance or my involvement. It is by my choosing that I enter and volunteer. I cannot be in both throne rooms at the same time….it is impossible. Each room has its own unique atmosphere. Each has an agenda with very different consequences for service. The question is, “Which will I enter? Whom will I serve?”

There are two verbs of choice that I notice……let and present. In this passage the word let means to allow, give permission, permit, agree to, consent to, assent to, and accede to. Each time I sin I am the one granting permission for sin to reign. Allowing sin to be my king in the kingdom of my body. How sad to think that I would enter, kneel, and extend the parts of my body for service to this particular ruler…voluntarily!

Yet, the whole time God Himself is wooing me into His throne room. Granting me the desire and power to leave sin’s throne room. Inviting me to let Him rule and reign in my life. May I enter His throne room and abide in His presence continually. My actions, attitudes, and spoken words will reveal where I am spending my time.

Father, help me to make myself at home in Your throne room of my heart. Have the sovereign rule over me. I choose You! Amen.