Sunday, January 21, 2007

Where to Look


But Jesus said to him, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62

Paul said it this way in Philippians 3:13,14 “Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” The Christian life is a life of advancement and looking ahead.

There are two ways of “looking back.” There are times precious memories come to mind and bring a smile to our face. We think back to particular people, places, and events and the thoughts encourage our heart. We make decisions and go back in our mind to when that decision was made as a way of rekindling the flame of that decision. We remember the sense of God’s call in a certain direction and renew our commitment to follow through. We realign ourselves with the reason and purpose for our journey. There is nothing wrong with those kinds of visits down memory lane. They are encouraging and often times necessary.

The other kind of “looking back” is done when the going gets rough, the storms of life intimidate us, and the journey gets difficult. We look back to when decisions were made and we second guess ourselves, doubt the choices we have made, and play the “if only” game. We lose sight of the reason for the journey and the ability to see God’s hand in all of it. We somehow think if we had really made the right decision, life would be easier and trials would be few. This kind of looking back leads to discouragement, regret, and uncertainty.

I am finding that during times of greatest difficulty I must not let the circumstances I am in and the emotions I am feeling interpret my journey for me. But rather I must review the truth about God and His divine leading in my life. I am not talking about facing the consequences of sin. That is a completely different topic. I am talking about knowing that I live my life with a passion for God and whether the daily results are comfortable or not, holding to the hand that never lets me go! Certain things do not change from day to day: God’s goodness, God’s love, God’s purpose, and God’s sovereignty. They form the guard rails and safety net of my existence.

Father, let me see the beauty even in the darkest of moments. You are my Strength, my Comfort, and my Guide. I follow on! Amen.